The Year 9 Language and Literary Techniques program gives students the tools to use and analyse the expressive elements and devices found in English studies and identified in the Australian Curriculum. We look closely at a wide range of language and figurative techniques including those specific to poetry, prose fiction, nonfiction and drama, and we demonstrate how to respond insightfully to the rich complexities of allusions, motifs and symbols. The Language and Literary Techniques program goes beyond merely identifying elements and devices; it equips students with the skills to explain and evaluate their specific impacts, and it models how to utilise these techniques in their own writing. The program is designed to enliven the critical and creative work of every student and to build personal confidence in English.
Analysing Language Techniques
- Students consolidate and deepen their understanding of the structure and sound of language and the effect of devices such as alliteration, assonance and onomatopoeia on a reader’s response to a text.
Analysing Figurative Devices
- Students analyse the use of techniques such as metaphor, simile, personification, metonymy and synecdoche, and explain the ways in which imagery enriches the experience of reading texts.
Analysing Symbols and Allusions
- We look closely at the way writers use techniques such as symbolism, allusion, irony, contrast and paradox to build textual layers, create rich literary and dramatic worlds, and appeal to different audiences.
Analysing Poetic Techniques
- Students learn to identify and analyse techniques commonly used in poetry such as lineation, rhyme and metre and explain the effect these devices have on the reader’s response to the work. They experiment with similar techniques in their own writing in order to expand their literary skills.
- We analyse specific rhetorical techniques such as tricolon, parallelism, hyperbole, polysyndeton and analogy, identifying how and why they add power to fiction, nonfiction and drama texts. Students learn to apply these techniques in their own critical, persuasive and creative writing.
What you'll get
- A customised learning plan to suit your needs, adapting to your pace as you learn, progress and achieve mastery
- All the content required to help you master the syllabus, including theory, worked examples, exam preparation and practice questions
An Expert Tutor
- We match you to a private, expert tutor who is right for your needs and goals
- Our tutors are talented, tested, top ATAR achievers and subject experts
- During each session, your tutor guides you through your learning program, providing real-time, live expert tutoring in Language and Literary Techniques
- Access information at every stage showing what's been mastered, what areas need to be worked on and what's next
- You and your parents receive a comprehensive feedback report after every session
- Every session is recorded and available for you to watch at any time, allowing you to review what was covered
Ready to start this program?
Simply pick a time that works for you
Add your payment details securely online
We'll book in your first session and match you to an expert tutor
PAYG and bundle plans
Access to practice questions
Not sure if this program is right for you?
Ask us, we'll help you find the right program.