Creative writing is an increasingly important part of the English curriculum in Australia at every level. However, students often find creative writing tasks challenging, and complain that they don’t even know where to start. The Year 10 Art of Creative Writing program demystifies the creative process and gives students the tools and support to create pieces that will impress markers and satisfy curriculum requirements. This program is also designed to provide students with insight into the construction of creative texts, which will enrich their analytical and evaluative skills.The Art of Creative Writing gives students a sequence of narrative building blocks that underpins everything they write, and opportunities to unpack and analyse literary models. They also create their own work, benefitting from extensive feedback from their experienced private tutors.
Inspiration and Getting Started
- Acquire strategies to find and harness inspiration. We explain the popular belief that students should “write what they know” and provide structure and support so that students can get started.
Using Memories as a Creative Catalyst
- Using memories as a creative springboard is an easy way for students to commence the creative process. It’s also a valuable foundation for understanding many classic literary texts.
Story and Plot
- Students learn how to structure their narratives according to a traditional narrative arc, and how to vary it for effect.
- Characterisation is at the heart of all successful narratives. We show students how to build memorable and believable characters.
Point of View and Voice
- Many students find managing point of view and creating a compelling voice difficult. We equip students with the skills to manage narrative point of view for effect and find their literary voice.
Showing and Telling
- Showing and telling is another familiar writing hurdle. We use well-known literary examples to give students insight and support their analytical skills.
- We demonstrate the tricks to writing dialogue that build character and drive narrative forward. We also help students present dialogue properly – a common problem that often costs marks.
Description and Setting
- Description and setting can make or break a piece of creative writing. We help students make informed decisions about how much or little to tell their readers, and how to avoid clichés.
What you'll get
- A customised learning plan to suit your needs, adapting to your pace as you learn, progress and achieve mastery
- All the content required to help you master the syllabus, including theory, worked examples, exam preparation and practice questions
An Expert Tutor
- We match you to a private, expert tutor who is right for your needs and goals
- Our tutors are talented, tested, top ATAR achievers and subject experts
- During each session, your tutor guides you through your learning program, providing real-time, live expert tutoring in The Art of Creative Writing
- Access information at every stage showing what's been mastered, what areas need to be worked on and what's next
- You and your parents receive a comprehensive feedback report after every session
- Every session is recorded and available for you to watch at any time, allowing you to review what was covered
Ready to start this program?
Simply pick a time that works for you
Add your payment details securely online
We'll be in contact to match you with one of our top tutors and book your first session
PAYG and bundle plans
Access to practice questions
Not sure if this program is right for you?
Ask us, we'll help you find the right program.