Persuasive writing is a fundamental component of the English curriculum in Australia at every level. Not only has it been an important part of the NAPLAN Writing test, it is also a key skill for life. The Year 9 Art of Persuasive Writing shows students how to analyse the techniques of persuasion – written, spoken, visual and multimodel – that are commonly used in texts from advertising and mass media to literature. They will also be given the tools to build their own persuasive texts for different audiences and aims. The Year 9 Art of Persuasive Writing is designed to be an applied program of learning focusing on composition, with students benefitting from extensive feedback from their experienced private tutors.
- Students learn to identify, assess and use language techniques such as modality, connotation and inclusivity.
- Rhetorical devices are frequently used in persuasive texts in the form of emphasis, appeals to emotion and values, exaggeration and attack, and of course rhetorical questions. Students are shown how to identify these devices and how to deploy them strategically in their own persuasive texts.
Voice and Perspective
- Establishing and manipulating point of view are common persuasive techniques. Students learn about objectivity and subjectivity and how to identify bias in texts.
Constructing an Argument
- Students learn and practise the most powerful ways to construct an argument in spoken and written texts and for different audiences.
- Assessing the weight of evidence used by others and deploying it thoughtfully are key skills for students to acquire. We explore the different impacts of expert opinion, anecdotal and statistical evidence.
Audience and Context
- Understanding audience is fundamental to effective persuasion. Through close analysis of a wide range of texts, students learn how to choose persuasive techniques to appeal to specific target audiences.
- In addition to written and spoken texts, students learn to identify and analyse the techniques of different media, with a particular focus on visual texts such as photographs, multimodal texts and film.
What you'll get
- A customised learning plan to suit your needs, adapting to your pace as you learn, progress and achieve mastery
- All the content required to help you master the syllabus, including theory, worked examples, exam preparation and practice questions
An Expert Tutor
- We match you to a private, expert tutor who is right for your needs and goals
- Our tutors are talented, tested, top ATAR achievers and subject experts
- During each session, your tutor guides you through your learning program, providing real-time, live expert tutoring in The Art of Persuasive Writing
- Access information at every stage showing what's been mastered, what areas need to be worked on and what's next
- You and your parents receive a comprehensive feedback report after every session
- Every session is recorded and available for you to watch at any time, allowing you to review what was covered
Ready to start this program?
Simply pick a time that works for you
Add your payment details securely online
We'll be in contact to match you with one of our top tutors and book your first session
PAYG and bundle plans
Access to practice questions
Not sure if this program is right for you?
Ask us, we'll help you find the right program.