The Year 4 English program covers all the components of the Australian Curriculum and is also aligned with specific state-based syllabus requirements. Students focus on the essential English skills of reading, listening and comprehension, critical and evaluative thinking, and creating texts for different audiences and purposes - persuasive, creative and informative. This program integrates grammar and language skills that are designed to develop each student’s vocabulary, verbal fluency and understanding of language. Because the study of English incorporates knowledge and appreciation of texts as well as literacy and language skills, the Year 4 program is built upon a range of engaging texts, grouped by theme and written by a diverse group of authors, including: children’s novels, informative texts, poetry, graphic novels, visual, digital and multimodal texts.
Creative and Informative Writing
- We give students practical building blocks to help them create compelling creative pieces that will satisfy syllabus requirements.
- Persuasive writing is a skill for life. We teach students the fundamentals of persuasive texts, how to evaluate language and imagery, and how to begin using language to persuade others.
Grammar and Language Conventions
- We integrate the direct teaching of grammar and language conventions into the program to help students internalise and apply the rules.
Critical and Evaluative Thinking
- The analysis of texts is at the heart of the English curriculum. We show students how to interpret and evaluate texts and how to communicate their ideas. Students will encounter a range of texts of all types and formats.
Reading and Comprehension Strategies
- We embed reading and comprehension strategies throughout the program. We teach students practical techniques that will allow them to understand the meaning created in texts – from the literal to the inferential – and how to apply their existing knowledge to the texts they read.
Purpose and Audience
- Studying English is about acquiring both skills and knowledge. It can also be engaging and a source of entertainment and joy. The texts that students study have been selected for the ideas that they contain as well as for the way they appeal to the tastes and interests of their readers.
What you'll get
- A customised learning plan to suit your needs, adapting to your pace as you learn, progress and achieve mastery
- All the content required to help you master the syllabus, including theory, worked examples, exam preparation and practice questions
An Expert Tutor
- We match you to a private, expert tutor who is right for your needs and goals
- Our tutors are talented, tested, top ATAR achievers and subject experts
- During each session, your tutor guides you through your learning program, providing real-time, live expert tutoring in Year 4 English
- Access information at every stage showing what's been mastered, what areas need to be worked on and what's next
- You and your parents receive a comprehensive feedback report after every session
- Every session is recorded and available for you to watch at any time, allowing you to review what was covered
Ready to start this program?
Simply pick a time that works for you
Add your payment details securely online
We'll book in your first session and match you to an expert tutor
PAYG and bundle plans
Access to practice questions
Not sure if this program is right for you?
Ask us, we'll help you find the right program.