The Year 9 English program covers all the components of the Australian Curriculum and is also aligned with specific state-based syllabus requirements. Students focus on the essential English skills of reading, listening and comprehension, textual analysis and evaluation, and creating texts for different audiences and purposes - persuasive, creative and critical. This program integrates grammar and language skills that are designed to develop each student’s vocabulary, verbal fluency and understanding of language. We place an emphasis on essay writing, from question analysis and planning to drafting and editing.Because the study of English incorporates knowledge and appreciation of texts as well as literacy and language skills, the Year 9 program is aligned and responsive to the material that each student is studying at school. We support a wide range of texts taught in Australian schools: novels and short stories, poetry, drama, film, graphic novels, visual, digital and multimodal texts, and Shakespeare.
- We demystify essay writing from question analysis and efficient planning to editing and polishing. The trick to writing a good essay is to present a genuine argument; and we show you how that is done. Students will also be given support and feedback to help them complete essay-writing tasks from school.
- We give students practical building blocks to help them create compelling creative pieces that will impress examiners and satisfy syllabus requirements. Our approach to creative writing also helps students to analyse the texts they are studying at school.
- Persuasive writing is a skill for life. We teach students how to unpack the persuasive texts that surround them, how to evaluate language and imagery to avoid being misled, and how to use language to persuade others.
Grammar and Language Conventions
- We integrate the teaching of grammar and language conventions into the rest of the program to help students internalise and apply the rules, enhancing their language skills. Students will be taught to use figurative and rhetorical language and given opportunities to acquire a sophisticated and technical vocabulary.
Analysis and Evaluation of Texts
- The analysis of texts is at the heart of the English curriculum. We show students how to interpret and evaluate texts and how to communicate their analysis. Students will be exposed to texts of all types and formats. Importantly, we help them understand, analyse and evaluate the texts they are studying at school and provide them with support to enhance their responses and confidence in English.
- We embed comprehension strategies throughout the program. We teach students how to understand the layers of meaning created in texts – from the literal to the metaphoric – and to interpret and explain symbolic language and imagery.
Representation of Ideas and Authorial Choice
- Studying English is about acquiring both skills and knowledge. The texts that students study at school are selected for the ideas that they contain as well as for the way they represent these ideas. We help students understand that texts reflect the context in which they were created, to identify and analyse the choices that their creators have made and to reflect on their own context and how it affects their responses.
What you'll get
- A customised learning plan to suit your needs, adapting to your pace as you learn, progress and achieve mastery
- All the content required to help you master the syllabus, including theory, worked examples, exam preparation and practice questions
An Expert Tutor
- We match you to a private, expert tutor who is right for your needs and goals
- Our tutors are talented, tested, top ATAR achievers and subject experts
- During each session, your tutor guides you through your learning program, providing real-time, live expert tutoring in Year 9 English
- Access information at every stage showing what's been mastered, what areas need to be worked on and what's next
- You and your parents receive a comprehensive feedback report after every session
- Every session is recorded and available for you to watch at any time, allowing you to review what was covered
Ready to start this program?
Simply pick a time that works for you
Add your payment details securely online
We'll book in your first session and match you to an expert tutor
PAYG and bundle plans
Access to practice questions
Not sure if this program is right for you?
Ask us, we'll help you find the right program.